hearScreen USA – Launched as U.S. National Hearing Screening App
The launch event hosted Shilo Harris as the keynote speaker. Shilo served in the military and during his deployment to war-torn Iraq, on February 19, 2007, Harris’ armored vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device. The explosion injured the driver and ended the lives of three of his fellow soldiers. Shilo survived but with severe third degree burns. Shilo shared his story about how the severity of the burns affected his ears and how he is now living with hearing loss. hearScreen USA is the National Hearing Screening app of the U.S. The app developed and validated by the University of Pretoria, South Africa, provides every user with a free hearing screening test.
hearScreen USA’s vision is early detection and linkage to care as the key to eliminate avoidable hearing impairment. Available on any iOS or Android device, the app is accessible to everyone in the United States. If a problem is detected, the app links users to their closest signed-up audiologist using geolocation.
Key features of hearScreen USA:
- The hearScreen USA app is simple and easy to use, available on Android & iOS devices working with any earphones.
- The user is able to know his/her hearing score in 2 minutes.
- hearScreen USA is clinically validated and published in scientific journals ensuring accurate results. The results are displayed in the app and can also be viewed via the user’s hearScreen USA profile.
- If the user’s results indicates a score below expected levels, the app connects him/her to their closest signed-up audiologist, based on geolocation.
- The app allows the user to create his/her own personal profile enabling him/her to track his/her hearing ability over time.
Audiologists join the hearScreen USA hearing health referral system: At hearScreen USA, we understand that screening is just the first step. Early consultation with a registered audiologist is essential for persons with suspected hearing loss. We’ve created a referral system that ensures users who fail a hearing screening can be linked to their closest audiologists, using geolocation. Register as an audiologist on the hearScreen USA system and receive referrals from people in your area to your practice. For more information on hearScreen USA please visit: www.hearscreenusa.com